2010 Sep 27 05:54

Re: [vox-tech] Which distro for file/print/web server

Re: [vox-tech] Which distro for file/print/web server

I believe I mentioned Openfiler, but I haven't put it into production though.
It does support a iSCSI, so you could boot block based VMs from your
network store. I wonder how well it does over the long run of upgrades and
updates.
http://www.openfiler.com/

Personally, I would just use Debian and LDAP and Samba. Debian systems just
keep running. New security updates/upgrades usually respect your configuration.
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_LDAP

If you don't have that many users, just use the following.

useradd --uid 1018 joe

So that user ids are consistent and access controls are properly maintained.

Here appears to be a cool tool.
smbldap-tools
https://gna.org/projects/smbldap-tools/

The migration tools for LDAP are pretty cool too!
http://www.padl.com/OSS/MigrationTools.html

And, I would put my partitions on LVM with Xen. Then, if a VM gets full (or
a partition) use lvmextend and ext2resize and voila, you have more space.

brian

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:51:18PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I finally have a small low power contraption on the way to begin my
> foray into a low power network server. Looking around at my options I'm
> not sure what distro to try on it first.
>
> Here are the requirements:
> SSH/SFTP/SCP
> Samba
> Print Server for Multi-OS (CUPS via Samba probably)
> Apache + mod_wsgi (Trac & Django)
>
> Optional:
> Web interface to manage it
>
> FreeNas sounded intriguing but seems to only do the first 2 without a
> lot of arm twisting. So I started looking at Debian and Ubuntu but I
> can't seem to decide which version of those would give me the easiest
> setup. Anyone have and opinion about Debian testing and unstable for
> this purpose, I think Stable doesn't have new enough packages for my needs.
>

> Also anyone have an opinion on webmin or suggestions for something
> similar that would allow me to manage most of the sharing, printers and
> apache via a web interface?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> FYI I got a Zotac ZBox atom 330 with Nvidia Ion + SSD and an external 2
> TB drive.

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare