2010 Aug 18 02:48

Re: [vox-tech] Apache2 problems

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Ryan <cjg5ehir02@sneakemail.com> wrote:
On Tuesday August 10 2010 12:50:00 Peter Salzman wrote:
> From the lack of entries in the log file, it looks like Apache isn't seeing
> the incoming request.  However, tcpdump seems to be showing otherwise.
> Port 80 is forwarded to the Linux box by the router.
>
> In sites.enabled:
>
> <VirtualHost 24.189.162.69:80>
>    ServerAdmin p@dirac.org
>    ServerName  www.dirac.org
>    ServerAlias dirac.org
>
>    # Indexes + Directory Root.
>    DirectoryIndex index.html
>    DocumentRoot /var/www/
>
>    # Logfiles
>    ErrorLog  /var/log/apache2/dirac.org.error
>    CustomLog //var/log/apache2/dirac.org.access combined
> </VirtualHost>

--snip--

> Any ideas what could be preventing this from working?

I'm going assume that your router is doing some form of NAT given that you
appear to be connected with a dynamic IP cable internet service.

Unless you are port forwarding to an internal box that actually has an
interface configured with the IP address 24.189.162.69, this is not going to
work. The connection will hit your router on port 80, get rewritten to
whatever internal address your web server has, and then hit Apache.  Apache
will look at the ip address on the local side of the socket and fail to match
those vhosts since it doesn't see the 24.189.162.69 address anywhere.

Another thing to note - cable internet providers often block inbound port 80 -
and it looks like yours is doing so.

http://www.google.com/search?q=optonline+block+port+80

However, they seem to be doing it by blocking the return SYN+ACK packet which
is a completely asinine way to accomplish the block which manages to make
troubleshooting extra annoying (as you've discovered).  You can check this by
running tcpdump on both the client and server.

Fun fact - these port blocks are usually done on the subscriber's modem by a
policy pushed down in the config file from the CMTS.

Finally, a general Apache note - unless you actually do need to serve
different sites based on what IP address is hit, you probably should use
<VirtualHost *:80>.  It'll save headaches if your ip addresses change.

-Ryan

Hi Ryan!

I actually got it working.  It turned out to be a router issue.   I forwarded the port using the "port forward" page, whereas apparently I should have forwarded the port using the "application forward" page.   I'm not too sure what the difference is, but there you go.   I works!

Optonline has different classes of service.  I have the super-duper deeeeluxe service with static ip and no blocked ports (as you'll see if you point a browser to dirac.org).

Thanks for the tip on virtual name host.   I definitely will keep that in mind.  It's a real headache tracking down "named host has no virtual servers" warnings...

Thanks!
Pete