2010 Jul 28 11:50

[vox-tech] Wireless Networking

I'm having a horrendously awful time getting wireless networking working on my Kubuntu box.   I've never played around with wireless networking on Linux before and wanted to consolidate my knowledge and see if I understand it correctly.   My two wireless cards are:

Edimax EW-7318usg
     148F:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501USB wireless adapter

Alfa AWUS050NH
     148F:2770 Ralink Technology, Corp.

If this were wired networking, the steps I would take would be:

1. Plug in the card into the computer and connect it to the router.
2. Load the correct driver.
3. Bring the interface up and assign an IP addr, either manually with ifconfig or automatically with dhclient.
3a. If manual was used in step 3, resolv.conf must contain the DNS servers and a gateway must be specified with "route".

I assume wireless networking must work more or less the same way.   The two things that are causing me grief are:

1. I don't know if the drivers are correct.
2. Security details (WEP, WPA, etc)

Part of the problem is that there seems to be a LOT of information out there, and some of it is conflicting.  For example, which drivers to use for these wireless cards.  When I load a driver, is there some way of finding out if the driver is functional for the card?   It would remove a lot of the later guesswork if I had confidence that the driver loaded is correct and working.

The 2nd question concerns security.  If you want to use WPA2/AES, is wpa_supplicant mandatory to use?

Since the obvious way to know if networking is functional is to ping a remote host, if it doesn't work, it's not clear at what stage the process is failing at.   Is there a way to detect that everything is AOK up to wpa_suplicant without having to switch the router's security completely off?

Thanks!
Pete