2010 Jun 25 00:25

[vox-tech] Need Windows PDF Reader

Can someone recommend a PDF reader for Windows?  I need one for my business.
And I need one soon.

I've just had an Adobe nightmare.  I was reading business email (Thank God I'm
in Linux now where I feel safe) and Kaspersky AntiVirus said Adobe 8.x was
downloading a trojan.  So Kaspersky took a few minutes to deal with the
problem and kept telling me that some so-called Windows image files were not
real image files.  They may have been .dll files, I'm not sure.

When Kaspersky was done my Adobe icon could no longer load the program.  So I
decided to delete the whole program and download the newest Adobe Reader,
which is 9.3.  Well that automatically downloads a second program, Adobe Air,
whatever that is.  When I clicked on the icon to install Adobe 9.3 winzip
extracted the files to my desktop.  I admit that was my fault.

But what was weird was that after deleting the files from my desktop, they
kept reappearing after about two or three re-boots.  The last time I rebooted
those damn files were gone.  But if they appear tomorrow I'll have to
reformat my Windows XP.

Adobe seems to be bloated.  When downloading they offer all kinds of crap,
N.Y. Times subscriptions, etc.  I hate to admit this, but with all my
experience, as the one who is called upon to fix family computer problem, I
confess that I am incapable of installing Adobe 9.3.

But I don't want to learn how.  I want some non-bloated Windows program that
reads PDF files and that I can trust.  And if my wife wins the lottery, I'm
closing down my business and removing Windows from my desktop and laptop.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Bob