2010 Jun 24 09:29

Re: [vox-tech] Memory addressing?

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 06:37:41PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On 06/23/2010 10:42 AM, timriley@appahost.com wrote:
> > The reason for the discussion was Brian's intrusion detection
> > implementation stored the incoming packets in a hash
> > table. The key to the hash table was quite
> > large -- inbound IP address, outbound IP address, inbound port, and
> > outbound port. I thought to my self, on a very large implementation (say
> > Google) the table could grow to a billion entries. Could a hash table
> > store this amount in memory? Could you allocate an array of half the
> > total memory? Could you allocate an array of a billion integers? Brian,
> > on his laptop, couldn't allocate a billion integers. But he could
> > allocate a billion characters (bytes). Since I thought both bytes and
> > integers were words, and since I thought memory stored words
> > like registers stored words, we had our discussion.
>
> Sounds like an interesting discussion, sorry I missed it.  Kinda of
> amusing trying to handle such a hash table on a (older I assume) single
> 32 bit laptop.

So, I am about to put up the code for my mods to nProbe. I believe it
runs on 64 bit. I really haven't done any work on the hashing part,
but I am sure that the work that Luca Deri has done works well.

How do you put a public git repository online?

Somewhat like the following.
http://www.gtk.org/download.html

I found the following link. Does it look like it has the correct
details?
http://toolmantim.com/thoughts/setting_up_a_new_remote_git_repository

brian
--