2010 Jun 17 07:52

[vox-tech] PATH Changing

Hi again,

I have been trying to change the PATH on two computers: one is mac osx and the other one is Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) But I faced several problems and basically I have the following questions:

I changed the PATH on terminal on the Linux using "set PATH" command and I accidentally changed it to a wrong one. How would I be able to undo PATH basically? what is the command for it? Because the "set" command just adds to the PATH without letting me change it.

My other question is regarding changing the PATH permanently in bash shell for mac. When I change the PATH on the terminal, I realize it doesnt permanently change it. I realized the PATH I have in X11 terminal is different from the one on regular terminal. and once I close terminal page and reopen it again the PATH is gone back to its original form. How can a PATH be changed permanently on both terminals?

Lastly a weird solid gray color screen pops on the background when I open up X11 terminal which the only way to get rid of it is keying "control Q". Does anyone by any chance had this problem before? Or knows why would this happen?

I will really be appreciated if anyone would be able to help me with these issues. Thank you so much in advance,
Anahita