2010 Jun 15 13:56

[vox-tech] Fwd: Re: sudoers file on ubuntu corrupted,how can I recover it?

Matthew posted from a non-sub'd address.  This got discarded over
the weekend; apologies for fwd'ing it along so long after
(and/or if it's a duplicate; I'm a bit email-backlogged!)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:56:54 -0700
From: vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Auto-discard notification
To: vox-tech-owner@lists.lugod.org

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:28:50 -0700
From: Matthew Van Gundy <matt@shekinahstudios.com>
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] sudoers file on ubuntu corrupted, how can I recover it?
To: lugod's technical discussion forum <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>

If you have a root login enabled, login as root and change the mode.
If not, reboot, add init=/bin/sh kernel boot parameter to the kernel
line in grub.  mount -o remount,rw /; Change the mode, sync; sync;
sync; mount -o remount,ro /; reboot (you'll probably need to hard
reboot because the command won't work)

In the future, visudo is your friend.

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from my iPod

On Jun 12, 2010, at 12:51, Hai Yi <yihai2004@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello all:
>
>I accidentally changed the mode of the file /etc/sudoers and added a
>line to the file.
>
>Now every time I want to "sudo" sth, I got a "segmental fault"
>error, and an error message like "... the mode is 0640, it should be
>0440..."
>
>I couldn't remember exactly the words, but it's something similar to
>above.
>
>Anyone knows how to recover this error?
>

>I am using ubuntu 9.10
>
>Thanks a lot!