2010 Jun 02 09:15

Re: [vox-tech] ffmpeg migration to Windows

On 06/01/2010 09:24 PM, Hai Yi wrote:
> hello all:
>
> I used msys + MinGW to succesfully compile ffmpeg libs into dll files
> for windows; my intention is to rewrite ffmpeg.c , which is the ffmpeg
> utility for video/audio conversion, into a c++ class for windows, and
> create a gui to use it.
>
> the program is about 4000+ lines + dependency, and the options I am thinking of:
>
> 1. use Visual C++; I have some experience working with MFC GUI
> programming, but I heard that VC++ doesn't support C99 well, and some
> data types in ffmpeg.c, like int64_t are C99 standard;
>
> 2. Java as GUI, and jni to communicate with C code; I don't have
> experience with jni therefore no idea if this is a viable approach;
>
> 3. IDE. Anyone ever use C++ platform from Eclipse? If I can't use VC++
> for ffmpeg.c, will this platform help? What's the GUI solution in this
> case? GTK? I don't have experience in that either.
>
> thanks all!
> Hai

My first question is why? What would this application do that Avidemux,
Handbrake, Virtualdub, VLC or the rest of the bunch don't already do?

Have you thought C++ & Qt. Personally I use Python & Qt and it works
quite well cross platform. The only other widget set I really like is
wxWidgets. But I'm probably biased because both of these support python
and that's usually how I interact with them.
(You can use sip or swig to generate python, java or ruby bindings)

I have yet to see a desktop Java interface that appealing to the eyes
(not saying it's not possible, I just haven't seen one).

GTK also seems a reasonable choice.

Have look at Code:Blocks http://www.codeblocks.org/ and Anjuta
http://anjuta.org/

I don't see why you couldn't go cross-platform, maybe it's more work...

Alex