2010 Jun 01 23:39

Re: [vox-tech] how to find the self-installed libs?

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 23:41 -0400, Hai Yi wrote:
> Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions!
>
> This is what I've done since after:
>
> 1. I haven't figured out how checkinstall works, retry later...

You most definitely don't want to use checkinstall for this. You'll
probably break some other package that depends on the older version of
libx264.

If you're going to generate a debian package, then the best thing to do
is use "apt-get source" to download the source code for the version of
libx264 that's currently in Debian, and use uupdate to upgrade that
source package to the new upstream version. Build that package, and
install brand-new debian packages for the new version. (See the Debian
new maintainer's guide at http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ for
information on how this works.)

--Ken