2010 May 31 22:33

Re: [vox-tech] how to find the self-installed libs?

On 05/31/2010 09:58 AM, Hai Yi wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> i've downloaded and installed libx264 from web since the one with
> ubuntu (9.10) is lower in version. I can see that lib has been
> installed on /usr/local/lib:
>
> hai@zodiac:~/downloads/x264$ ls -ltr /usr/local/lib/libx264*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 993618 2010-05-31 12:50 /usr/local/lib/libx264.a
>
> However it seems that it is NOT picked up by ffmpeg configuration:
>
> hai@zodiac:~/ffmpeg$ ./configure --mandir=/usr/local/ffmpeg/share/man
> --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-avfilter --enable-x11grab
> --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libgsm
> --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
> ERROR: libx264 not found
>

> nor shown when using
>
> dpkg --get-selections | grep libx264
>

> How can I do to make this lib awared to the system?
>
> Thanks,
> Hai

Some options:
1. When compiling yourself on a Debian based system use checkinstall
where possible. This creates a local deb file and installs via the
package manager.

2.In you particular case /usr/local/lib just isn't in the normal path.
You can either add it to the path via a command line statement or using
the ldconfig system, OR you can specifiy directories to be included in
the ffmpeg build process. It's usually something like
--include=/usr/local/lib/ but check the docs of configure and the ffmpeg
package.

Alex