2010 May 31 09:58

Re: [vox-tech] anything wrong with this code?

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 08:48:06PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 08:35 PM, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 22:08 -0400, Hai Yi wrote:
> >> hi there:
> >>
> >> can anyone look at these two small c++ snippets to see what's wrong
> >> with them? I was interviewed with them...
>
> Out of curiosity, where?  (feel free to not answer)
>
> >> 1.
> >> A* createA(){ return new A();}
> >>      void fun(){createA();}
> >>      What's wrong with the above code?
> >
> > It leaks memory.

Yeah, you know why the interviewer asked that? Either one of his
employees or _he_ made the error and it started dropping memory on the
floor, not to mention losing access to previously allocated variables.

It looks like a nice tool for a little bit of nastiness though.
Overwrite a variable, then later creatively drop into that memory
location and get your stash back!

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/