2010 May 27 19:32

Re: [vox-tech] ssd and swap

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:13:09AM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 07:34 -0700, Scott Miller wrote:
> > Anyone using an SSD? I've got one on the way to use as a boot drive,
> > and am pondering not having swap at all. Is this crazy?
> >
> > In the Windows world I see persons advising turning off the Windows
> > page file when using an SSD.
> >
> > I have a lot of ram: 8GB. :) But is it risky to not have a swap?
> > Thanks for your input,

[snip]

> The time when I *do* touch swap is when I have some sort of memory leak
> -- typically in a program I or one of my students wrote -- and the
> computer allocates all of its RAM *very* quickly.

Hmm, that sounds like my MS project at one point. Perhaps that is the
reason for the quiet response from my advisor.

You can temporarily add swap for instances like this[1]. The following
will add 1 GB of swap.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=1048576
mkswap /swapfile
swapon /swapfile

when done

swapoff /swapfile