2010 May 17 09:55

Re: [vox-tech] Looking for a Sunbird (Google Calendar) replacement

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 12:27 -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 08:54:42AM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 22:10 -0700, Tony Cratz wrote:
> >
> > Also, while searching Debian's apt repositories, I saw a package called
> > qorganizer. It appears that one of its saving graces is that it has a
> > very simple file format (that should sync well using git).
> >
> > > 	Now with all of that said (and what has been said before)
> > > 	my ideal PIM is really more complex then what I have been
> > > 	saying. Beside being iCal and Vcard base I would like to
> > > 	be able to sync my laptop PIM with a PIM on my main server.
> >
> > Use Funambol on your main server as a synchronization server, then use
> > SyncEvolution to synchronize events. You could also configure davical or
> > calendarserver as a CalDAV server, and configure evolution to talk to
> > that.
>
> This Funambol looks interesting. Have you configured it? I am in the
> process of downloading the source.

I downloaded a binary package of Funambol, and installed it in /opt. The
binary package is self-contained, so I start funambol
with /opt/Funambol/bin/funambol start and stop it
with /opt/Funambol/bin/funambol stop. I think that funambol's default
mode is to learn about its users automatically as they log in for the
first time. (There must be a way to turn that off if it poses a security
risk, but I don't know what that is.)

If you're using Debian the virtuoso-vad-syncml packages is another
SyncML server. I haven't used it myself, so I can't say anything about
it.