2010 May 11 19:48

Re: [vox-tech] Looking for a Sunbird (Google Calendar) replacement

Tony Cratz wrote:
> Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Scott Miller (scottlinux@gmail.com):
>>
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/download.html
>>>
>>> Yeah looks like sunbird is not in development anymore. Their site says
>>>
>>> "This is the last public Sunbird release by the Calendar Project.
>>> We recommend upgrading to Thunderbird 3 and Lightning 1.0 beta1."
>> I should note that Lightning basically _is_ Sunbird.
>>
>> Sunbird was a bunch of XUL interpreted code for iCAL / CalDAV / DAViCal
>> functionality atop the Mozilla portable runtime.  Lightning is
>> that same XUL code refactored to run on the Mozilla portable runtime
>> inside Thunderbird 3.0.x or SeaMonkey 2.0.
>>
>> It might be possible to run it on Firefox's copy of the Mozilla portable
>> runtime, though that's not addressed in the Web site's docs.  Seems
>> likely that there's been enough rewriting to accomodate Thunderbird 3 as
>> host that that might be nontrivial.
>

> 	While I understand that Lightning is really Sunbird it is
> 	not a standalone client. It requires having Thunderbird up
> 	and running.
>
> 	I really want a true standalone client which does not require
> 	any Internet connection, this is where Sunbird was a major
> 	win over Lightning.
>

> 							Tony

Thunderbird only requires an internet connection if you configure email
accounts or online/synced calendars. It is capable of running in offline
mode(You can even set the default to offline), and I do this all the
time with my laptop.

Just a correction of facts, I realize this doesn't solve your issue of
wanting a good standalone offline calendar. A quick look through the
package manager shows a few options but most seem to be very web dependent.

Chandler and KOrganizer came up as some options to explore based on a
web search.

Alex