2010 Apr 29 19:36

Re: [vox-tech] MTA

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 01:04:56AM -0700, Richard Harke wrote:
>    Not the MTA Charlie got stuck on. I'm running Debian and every recent
>    (and maybe not so recent) install has installed exim4 as a Mail
>    Transfer
>    Agent. But is not clear that this is doing anything for me. I normally
>    do email
>    through my ISP or in some cases through gmail. When I take my laptop
>    out for coffee, it takes a really long time to decide to skip the MTA
>    startup
>    because it doesn't have internet access. Is there any reason I can't or
>    shouldn't
>    disable it?

If cron sends you email. The default config for Exim on Debian is to
listen to localhost.

--
Brian E. Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"All too often, developers spend a majority of their time integrating
disparate technologies, manually tracking state, struggling to understand
JSF, wrestling with Hibernate exceptions, and constantly redeploying
applications, rather than on the logic pertaining to the business at hand."
- Seam Overview