2010 Apr 20 18:54

[vox-tech] loop never exits!

Our new guy (forget his name, doh!) and I figured out the problem with
my loop that would count down, but not terminate. Turns out I was using
an unsigned integer for my counter in my for loop and it is always
greater than zero (Example 1).

Funny thing is that -Wall didn't catch this. Seems that -Wall could
catch this assuming that we want to loop to terminate. Any thoughts?

Say the compiler gave a warning, would that mess up the "for (;;)"
construct shown in Example 2?

brian

// Example 1
// Loop never terminates
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
  unsigned int i, num=50;

  for (i= num ; i >= 0; i--) {
    printf("%u\n",i);
  }

  return 0;
}

// Example 2
// Purposely never terminates
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
  for (;;) {
    printf("Hello forever\n");
   }
   return 0;
}
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
- H. L. Mencken