2010 Apr 16 03:18

Re: [vox-tech] Performance tuning for http file serving

Re: [vox-tech] Performance tuning for http file serving

Isn't there a SPECWeb test or something like that for this?
I believe they cost $$$ though. You could also do a capture and replay
it back to your web server.

There must be some benchmarking tools or simulation methodologies.

brian

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:56:03PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On 04/14/2010 10:51 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > I would think that you need to tune your filesystem. How about this
> > article on "On-demand readahead"
> >
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/235164/
>
> Ah, I found this:
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/001nov04/features/vm/#tuning-vm
>
> What I'd recommend is pick a design point.  Taking this graph:
> http://broadley.org/bill/random-read.png
>
> Then the number of clients you plan to have simultaneously, set
> min_readahead so you can have a reasonable memory footprint and good
> performance.
>
> Say you only had a single few year old single 1TB disk (like in the
> graph).  If you set min_readahead to 2MB the I/O system should be able
> to provide 60MB/sec.
>
> You should be able to manage 60MB/sec, the default on my disk was 128KB,
> which would lead to a bottleneck 12MB/sec or so.
>
> Next time my mirror gets busy (likely around the LTS release) I'll see
> if I can collect some real world numbers.

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."
- Winston Churchill