2010 Apr 04 23:02

Re: [vox-tech] telnet daemon doesn't work

Re: [vox-tech] telnet daemon doesn't work

I am testing NTOP!!! ;-)

This host is a Xen VM called xen6. It's hypervisor's hostname is
"small". The default rules for xen6 are accept.  But the wierd thing is
that netstat -an seems to report tcp6. Could telnetd just be listening
to ipv6?

I can ssh to xen6, just not telnet to it. I can telnet from xen6 to
localhost.

brian

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address State
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6011          0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.106:22        192.168.1.54:55227 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.106:22        192.168.1.54:54178 ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::* LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 :::23                   :::* LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 ::1:6011                :::* LISTEN

root@xen6:/home/brian# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

$ cat /etc/inetd.conf
#:STANDARD: These are standard services.
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/telnetd       telnetd

small:~# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  xen6.brie.com        anywhere            PHYSDEV
match --physdev-in vif8.0
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            PHYSDEV
match --physdev-in vif8.0 udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 10:34:53PM -0700, Matthew Holland wrote:
> Assuming that the daemon is running, it's probably being rightly
> blocked by a firewall.  Why do you want to do this?
>
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:
> > I installed telnetd on my Debian unstable and it I can't seem to telnet
> > to it. Any clues?
> >
> > brian
> > --
> > Brian Lavender
> > http://www.brie.com/brian/
> >
> > "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> > make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other
> > way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
> >
> > Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> > The 1980 Turing award lecture

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/