2010 Mar 18 12:23

[vox-tech] version numbers?

This is a subject I've always wondered about, but which some of you know
pretty well:  How does the author of a package determine version
numbers when updating his/her software?

I've contributed a couple of packages the CRAN, the R software
repository, and I'm about to update one of them.  It has the default
version number in the software scheme in CRAN, 1.0.0.  The changes
consist of (a) a small but important extension of capability and (b) a
new example.  The extension consists of adding only a couple of lines of
code, but it sets up the new example.  And that example has utility in
its own right, so it ought to be called an application rather than an
example.

So, what should my new version number be?  1.0.1?  1.1.0?

Norm