2010 Mar 18 12:19

Re: [vox-tech] CVS demo files

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Note on the popularity question that came up, few new projects choose
> cvs

Agreed.  CVS seems pretty much dead.  All the tools that used to target CVS
now seem to cater to SVN.  I can't really think of any reason not to upgrade.

> most people you talk to prefer svn over cvs and many old time cvs
> projects have moved to svn. That is unless the explicitly want a DVCS
> and some do, but the jury is still out on whether it makes it easier or
> harder for a team to work together, probably depends on the team and the
> project.

Agreed.  Usually it's just a path of least resistance to use what is already
in use.  Except with CVS where even normal things can be so painful (like
moving directories) that it's justified to move to SVN asap.  In most ways SVN
is just a superset of CVS.  They tried really hard to make sure the upward
migration was easy and painless.

One advantage I've seen with the distributed version control systems is that
since there is a local copy the developers have no excuse not to keep the
version control system as part of their development process.  Even if they are
offline with a laptop, traveling, etc they can still check in changes.  One
less excuse for a developer not to always be in the habit of checking in
changes.  After all any version control system not used is a failure.

BTW, I consider having 2 copies of all source an advantage, and strongly
recommend that you always have at least 2 copies of anything you type.  Just
make sure that those 2 copies aren't on the same machine.  Anything you type
is easily valuable enough to keep 2 copies of.