2010 Mar 15 09:41

Re: [vox-tech] Mythbox hardward compatibility

Never used either.  Have done a little research and saw beyondtv as an option.  I will look deeper into sagetv.  Thanx.

I use two hard drives for each OS.  One for windblows, one for ubuntu which has a bootloader that can boot other hard drives.  Its soo cool that this can be done.  If for some reason I have to take the ubuntu hard drive out or it crashes the bios will choose the second hard drive which still contains windblows bootloader!  I have done the single hard drive thing before but there are too many things to go wrong such as partitioning, compression, reallocation of files, defragging, yada yada yada.  Since I don't know Linux all that well I experiment with it a lot to the point where I have to rewrite my hard drive.  Makes it very convient having both OS separate.
----- Original Message -----
To: LUGOD
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Mythbox hardward compatibility

Wes,

Thanks for the info on HDHomeRun.  I happen to live in Orange County, but since I know Bill K from way back in the day, he suggested posting to LUGOD so here I am.

Might I ask what kind of SD tuner cards you have?  It's looking and more like I won't be able to find one card that does both digital and analog.  That is unless anyone else throws out a suggestion.

In regards to the video card, I checked the Nvidia website and they do have Linux drivers.  So I think I'm good there.  Unfortunately, this means I probably won't be able to get away with a mobo that has integrated graphics.  Since my mythbox is not going to be for gaming I was hoping to avoid an extra card inside the computer and the associate power consumption and loss of air flow.

Jimbo,

Any particular reason you suggested BeyondTV over SageTV.  I've test drove the Win 7 media center and it seems pretty good for a built in media center.

How would you transition to Linux?  I'm envisioning some type of dual boot system.  Does Win 7 have the same boot loader as Linux?

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.