January 6: Social gathering
2010 Mar 12 21:31

Re: [vox-tech] Mythbox hardward compatibility

Re: [vox-tech] Mythbox hardward compatibility

ML> SiliconDust HDHomeRun Network-based Dual Digital HDTV Tuner Ethernet
ML> Interface This seems like a popular tuner on Newegg and I like the
ML> idea of having the TV stream through ethernet. Seems like the same
ML> problem as the Hauppauge with only supporting digital channels.
ML> Anyone have any experience with this device?

I just bought one of these recently and love it.  But yes, it won't
record the analog channels (nor can it record anything encrypted, but
that's already a known problem you're familiar with; note that more and
more cable companies eventually flip the "encrypt most channels"
switch).  However, at least in Davis (if that's where you're living)
almost everything is transmitted on both a digital and an analog
channel so you shouldn't actually loose much.

Worst case, you could also throw a analog capture card in the machine
too.  The nice thing about Myth is that it's very expandable.  My system
has the HDHR network box with 2 inputs and the machine has 2 SD capture
cards in it as well.  I never miss a show due to conflicts ;-)

ML> Video: Is there a Nvidia driver for the GeForce 210?  Can I get
ML> audio out through the HDMI?

Go to the nvidia website and see if you can download the proprietary
linux drivers for the card.  That'll let you know quickly.  NVidia,
unlike most other vendors, is pretty good at supporting everything with
linux drivers even if they are proprietary.

I don't know about the sound; I admittedly have a HDMI after a converter
from, um, drat...  that other digital acronym is escaping me.  Anyway, I
route the sound separately and fortunately my TV has one HDMI input with
a external sound input too.

Oh, and myth isn't the easiest thing in the world to get set up.  It
does take time.  Possibly lots of it if you want to fiddle more and
more.  On the up side, once getting it installed you'll likely never
want to use anything else again.
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/