2010 Mar 08 11:22

Re: [vox-tech] proxy server

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 05:45:12PM -0800, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:14:58PM -0500, Hai Yi wrote:
> > hello all:
> >
> > Is it possble to install a proxy server on my home Linux server? What
> > I intend to do is to allow some of my friends back in China to access
> > some censored website through it (some time they can't even visit
> > nyt.com ). What software for Linux can help me achive that goal?
> >
> If they can ssh to you, you can give them shell accounts and then
> they can use ssh as a SOCKS proxy. I use this with the foxyproxy
> firefox extension but the builtin proxy manager works as well for
> single configurations. If it is allowed on the server, you just
> run ssh -D 8080 or some other port above 1024 on the client and
> then the ssh client is a proxy server listening to localhost on
> that port. Its very easy and secure. Also check out mod_proxy in
> apache, I haven't used this myself but I think it works with just
> http.
>
> You could also have the ssh server listen to tcp port 443
> or 80 if port 22 is blocked in china but not the ssh protocol
> itself. I have mine listen to 443 and its useful where only 80
> and 443 are allowed in a stateless firewall.
> Nick Schmalenberger

I use the

ssh -D 1234  myhomeserver.com

sometimes when I am behind a firewall as well. You can do it with putty
too!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539067

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"About 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't
pay for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are going
to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and
then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

-- Bill Gates (Microsoft) 1998