2010 Feb 22 12:45

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: When I boot my server all it says is "GRUB"

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:19:41PM -0800, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 01:01:43PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > David tried to post this to 'vox' from an unsubscribed address,
> > so it got discarded by mailman.
> >
> > I'm passing it along to 'vox-tech', since it's more appropriate
> > for that list, than for 'vox'.  Also Cc'ing LERT coordinators,
> > in case anyone is around and can perhaps do a housecall.
> >
> > -bill!
> >
> > ----- Forwarded message from vox-bounces@lists.lugod.org -----
> >
> > The attached message has been automatically discarded.
> > Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:08 -0800
> > From: David Spencer <spencer@pageweavers.com>
> > Subject: When I boot my server all it says is "GRUB"
> > To: vox@lists.lugod.org
> >
> > Hey guys. I was fiddling with my servers this afternoon. I rebooted one of them and all it says is GRUB. WTF?
> >
> > The system in question is a Dell SC1425 with drives in a RAID 1. The OS is CENTOS 4.8 . What what it's worth, I recently ran a yum update on Thursday (two days ago).
> >
> > Any ideas what I can do? I have it booted at the moment using the linux rescue mode but what should I be looking at?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> In rescue, try to mount the root filesystem, and /boot if it is a
> separate filesystem. Then chroot to the mountpoint of the root
> filesystem ("chroot /mnt" or something), and do "grub-install
> (hd0)" (the grub way of saying the disk) or "grub-install
> /dev/sda" or /dev/sda1 or whichever disk/partition is the root
> filesystem. I'm not sure if its more appropriate to install grub
> on the disk or partition but I don't think it hurts to try both.
> While the root filesystem is mounted you can also make any
> corrections to the menu.lst if needed.
> Nick Schmalenberger

Also, if you are booting a raid mirror be sure to install grub on
both drives and confirm they are both bootable without the other
drive. Its easy to forget about this until a disk needs to be
replaced and the server is already shutdown.