2010 Feb 10 20:39

Re: [vox-tech] LINUX installation question windows Vista

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:55:19PM -0800, Jason Snyder wrote:
> how do you set up the external hard drive so that I can boot from it?

You connect the drive, pull up the bios boot order menu or enter bios
setup, and change it to boot from USB. Make USB the first option in the
boot order if you're using bios setup.

On my Dell, temporarily choosing the boot device is done by holding down
F12 after turning on the computer. To change the boot order, I hold down
F2, enter BIOS setup, and change the boot order.

Note that the computer won't actually boot from the USB device until you
install an OS on it.

-Eric