2010 Jan 30 14:08

[vox-tech] 64 or 32 bit with 2 Gigs of Ram. One over the other?

[vox-tech] 64 or 32 bit with 2 Gigs of Ram. One over the other?

It would seem that 64 bit is just better, but I have this Net top box
with 2 Gigs of ram, and I am wondering if anyone can justify running one
over another. I am just running this as a server and no graphical
interface. I have Xen running in paravirtualized mode on Debian.

Is there more overhead with 64 bit addressing? I take it the alu is
operating at 64 bit on everything in 64 bit mode? That would seem like
it could do operations with twice the width.

Any thoughts?

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"Too much hype, too much confusion, and too many people talking about
something they don't understand have greatly muddied the waters in the
last year or so."

Borland Turbo Pascal OO Programming Guide
1989