2010 Jan 21 15:35

[vox-tech] .jpg Mystery

I'm working for the defense on a criminal case, and have come across a
mystery, and am asking for help solving it.

The police have given us a photo.  The time the photo was taken is important.
The defense investigator's computer indicates that the photo was taken
at "2107."  The investigator emailed a copy of the photo to me.  My computer
(on both Windows and Linux) indicates that the photo was taken at "10:07 pm."
Thus there is a one hour difference in the times reported on our respective
computers.

My question is, how can a .jpg file give two different times for its date of
creation?

You may not want to read what follows.  Below I explain how the investigator
and I got our results.

The investigator used Windows XP.  He right clicked on the .jpg and clicked
on "properties."  That brought up a box with three
tabs:  "General," "Summary," and "Details."  The date of time and creation
was found in the "Details" tab.

I used Windows XP.  When I right click on "properties" I get the "General"
and "Summary" tabs, but I do not get the "Details" tab.  All I've figured out
how to do it is to put the cursor over the .jpg file and a yellow box comes
up with the date and time the photo was taken.

In Linux there are a couple of different ways I can get the date and time the
photo was taken.

Thank you.

Bob