2010 Jan 05 22:51

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Uploading an image to Wikipedia (licensing)

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Uploading an image to Wikipedia (licensing)

> Does anyone understand the Wikipedia policy and/or has a higher
> tolerance for understanding licenses than I do (which is admittedly
> very low).  My sense is that the image owner wants his picture to be
> used for the Wikipedia article, but may be unwilling to allow the
> image to be used for commercial purposes.

I believe the basic idea is that photos much be completely free to be on
wikipedia, much like the bsd license which allows a company to both use and
modify without contributing back the changes.  Both commercial, non
commercial, and non wikipedia use much be allowed.  So unless it's public
domain you can't use it.  Thus the terrible photos for most hollywood folks.

So saying "Wikipedia may use it" is not enough.