2010 Jan 05 06:19

Re: [vox-tech] is it NAS?

The two systems share home directories using a networked file system.
The most obvious candidate for a networked filesystem between Linux
and Solaris is a filesystem called NFS.  There are others, but NFS
is most likely.

It could be that the home directories are hosted on the Solaris
machine and "NFS exported", and the Linux machine has NFS mounted
them.  Or it could be the other way around, with the directories
being hosted on the Linux box and Solaris mounting them remotely.

Or, the files could be hosted elsewhere and both the Linux and Solaris
machines are mounting them remotely.  In this case, it is possible that
the files are hosted on a NAS (which in my mind an appliance dedicated
to serving up files remotely).  Or your home directory could be coming
from some other Network File Server.

Gilbert