Re: [vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Worse is when it's phishing attempts:  "Your facebook account has been
> locked due to security reasons. Run the attached EXE to re-enable your
> account."  (Replace "facebook" with your ISP, your bank, etc.)

Lately its been alot of "we tried to deliver a package" and the form you
need to pick up with package is supposedly in the attachment.

> I'm also lucky because I use a plaintext email client (Mutt), so I don't
> see HTML email; not as live HTML, at least.

Same here. Pine on Linux. So I can unpack those attachments and have fun
seeing what they really are. Then I have another email box I forward
things to that have pictures sent by friends or sites I know. I open that
with Thunderbird on my desktop.

> public would understand the difference between ".com." and ".com/" in
> an URL? :(

Thats going to get worse. Now that unicode has been approved for use in
domain names there will be a rush to get look-alikes. I just try never
never to click links in emails. I go manually to a site whenever possible.
Having my text email program set to only use the simplest text-based
browser helps since it usually cant handle any site that is too
complicated even if I do click it.

> Perhaps it's some kind of wifi-encrypting tent you erect over your laptop. ;)

Heehee. If wifi security wasnt such a serious subject that would make a
really funny writeup. Go thru the whole thing spousing lots of security
jargon then at the end its a tin-foil hat for your computer to match the
one you are wearing.

Gandalf  Parker
--
My mom always told me to never talk to strangers. Never accept gifts
from people you dont now. If you open it then shut it when you are done.