Re: [vox-tech] 2 Network cards not getting along

Re: [vox-tech] 2 Network cards not getting along

Hate to say this, but.... it sounds like a router. I would turn it on,
and see if it works. Then, put together your IP Tables rules to only
traffic that you want to go in the direction you desire.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:37:04PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
> No it is set to 0. Should it be on? This system is not a router, I'm not
> really clear on what else would happen if I were to turn it on.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> Brian Lavender wrote:
> > Do you have forwarding turned on?
> > echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:34:27PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
> >> This is probably a strange use case, and I'm aware it's not optimum but
> >> I need to get it to work while a more long term solution is discussed.
> >>
> >> I have a server
> >> It has 2 network cards
> >> card 1 is serving a website to the world and is on subnet 1
> >> card 2 is serving a database, and samba share and is on subnet 2
> >>
> >> While card 2 is turned on, people on subnet 2 are unable to see the
> >> website, though the rest of the world can. It doesn't matter if they use
> >> the domain name, the subnet 1 ip or the subnet 2 ip address, they all
> >> timeout. If I turn card 2 off everybody can see the website.
> >>
> >> So how do I even begin to troubleshoot this issue?
> >>
> >> In the long run this could all be avoided by relaxing the firewall rules
> >>  to allow both subnets access to the various ports it needs, but for
> >> whatever reason there is a hardware firewall on subnet 1 that I have 0
> >> control over. It's removal has been requested but that might take a few
> >> months. Besides that I can't think of a reason why the setup wouldn't work.
> >>
> >> (Server is Apache 2.2, Ubuntu 8.04)
> >> subnet 1 has no domain controller
> >> subnet 2 has a windows domain controller (probably Win Server 2008,
> >> maybe still 2003)
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Alex

Brian Lavender