Re: [vox-tech] SURFboard SBG900 opinions

Bill Broadley wrote:
> Aaron Brayton wrote:
>> Hello again everyone!
>>
>> I'm looking to outfit my parents with high sped internet.  They still
>> use dial-up.
>>
>> I've found an offer through comcast for $29.99 for six months, $100
>> rebate and a free Motorola SURFboard SBG900.
>
> I've been tempted by deals like that, but when I call I ask what the price I
> after pay for month 7 and they waffle and say it's impossible to tell.  How
> long are you contracted to stay with comcast?

I have been with Comcast for about 6 years.  Internet,
basic tv, and phone service about $100 per month.
No phone was about $60 per month.  I think I had a
surfboard before I got their phone service, and it
worked fine.

Re: comcast phone service: voicemail feature is a
bit of a pain... cannot interrupt the message
to delete immediately, must wait to the end.
Otherwise works fine.

>> (If someone knows of a better offer, please let me know.)
>>
>> Does anyone have feedback for the SBG900?  Can you connect a USB printer
>> to the USB port on the modem to 'network' the printer?
>
> I'd google for that, I found a wealth of info on what you could use USB ports
> for.  I was researching 802.11n linux access points and the support from
> various community distributions.

The USB port is a peripheral-type... you cannot connect it to a printer.
In any event, that is not at all the intent of that USB port... rather
it is intended to be a cheap ethernet port, which I very much
recommend against using it for since ethernet is a much better
networking media than USB.