2009 Nov 24 12:43

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu not booting after Kernel update

On Tue 24 Nov 09, 11:01 AM, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> said:
> Quoting Darth Borehd (darth.borehd@gmail.com):
>
> > Why LILO?  I can't think of a single thing LILO can do that Grub can not do
> > better.
>
> 1.  Simplicity.
> 2.  Ability to boot any arbitrary filesystem without the need for the
>     bootloader to understand filesystem semantics.[1]
>
> [1] This isn't a problem with current common Linux filesystems, but
> has been in the past, and in some cases such as ReiserFS has limited
> GRUB to booting from some filesystems if mounted with the "notail"
> option.  Admittedly, GRUB also does support a "block list" reference
> mode analogous to LILO's ability to find bootable objects by logical CHS
> location, but this is poorly documented and probably poorly tested.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I believe the argument for
simplicity is more compelling from the point of view of the person using the
application, not the application itself.

Based on the amount of hair pulling, simplicity for me goes to Grub, easily.
I can't recall the last time I had to diagnose a Grub issue.

Pete