2009 Nov 24 12:24

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu not booting after Kernel update

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu not booting after Kernel update

Quoting Darth Borehd (darth.borehd@gmail.com):

> Why LILO?  I can't think of a single thing LILO can do that Grub can not do
> better.

1.  Simplicity.
2.  Ability to boot any arbitrary filesystem without the need for the
    bootloader to understand filesystem semantics.[1]

[1] This isn't a problem with current common Linux filesystems, but
has been in the past, and in some cases such as ReiserFS has limited
GRUB to booting from some filesystems if mounted with the "notail"
option.  Admittedly, GRUB also does support a "block list" reference
mode analogous to LILO's ability to find bootable objects by logical CHS
location, but this is poorly documented and probably poorly tested.