2009 Oct 28 22:36

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: Very slow off net

For example, the solitaire card game. Bu it appears to happen with all
applications. I don't believe it is coming from the application but
somewhere in the system code that launches the app.

I used wireshark. let wireshark run. no traffic. Launch an app.
As soon as it is up, check wireshark. There are several packets shone,
including the DNS queries. Also, it appears no use is made of the
DNS queries in that I do not see follow up traffic.

Since it is not a particular application I don't know how I would use
strace.

I did forget to mention one important difference between my laptop
and desktop. The laptop is running gnome while my desktop is
running KDE. When I thought about this I began to think maybe
gnome is responsible but I don't know how to check this.

Richard

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
Quoting Richard Harke (paleopenguin@gmail.com):

> That leaves the question: why access DNS at all for a application launch?

Again, what application, for example?  And by what means do you know
that that application is doing DNS lookups?  You say "I've done some
tracing", but I don't know what you've done to associate DNS lookups
with particular non-network-oriented applicaitons.

Once you know what application binary you're talking about, you can run
it under strace to determine what system calls it's making.

By the way, IMO, you really should consider running and using a local
recursive DNS nameserver.  Doing so improve performance a great deal
over using your "router on your home network", which almost certainly is
merely a forwarder.  It'll also improve performance over using OpenDNS,
along with not giving the operators of that service detailed
information about your Internet activity, _and_ (unlike OpenDNS) it
would actually implement DNS technical standards correctly (i.e.,
correctly answering "NXDOMAIN" when that's the truth).

Possibly of related interest:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2008q3/005308.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2008q3/005309.html