2009 Oct 20 10:33

Re: [vox-tech] how to handle spaces in a directory path

On Wed 14 Oct 09, 12:45 PM, Hai Yi <yihai2004@gmail.com> said:
> Hi, i know this is a simple one but it's also a haunting ghost. :-)
>
> This is what I set in my .bashrc:
>
> export VIM_HOME='/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim72'
> export VC_HOME='/cygdrive/c/"Program Files"/"Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0"/VC'
>

> and This is what I tested from cygwin console:
>
> $ echo $VIM_HOME
> /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim72
>
> hai@zodiac-1 ~
> $ cd $VIM_HOME
> bash: cd: /cygdrive/c/Program\: No such file or directory
>
> hai@zodiac-1 ~
> $ echo $VC_HOME
> /cygdrive/c/"Program Files"/"Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0"/VC
>
> hai@zodiac-1 ~
> $ cd $VC_HOME
> bash: cd: /cygdrive/c/"Program: No such file or directory
>
> Anyone can tell me what is the proper way to handle spaces in a
> directory path? In a cygwin environment?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Hai

Hai, you need to quote the variable, as in:

   ls "$VC_HOME"

I use cygwin extensively at work, and for this reason, I always install
stuff into "D:\bin" instead of "D:\Program Files".  You can function with
spaces in directory names; it just makes things more inconvenient.

Pete