2009 Oct 06 13:34

Re: [vox-tech] Router annoyances (again!)

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Every once in a while, it just becomes impossible to get on the network,
> and the damned router needs to be rebooted.  It happened this morning while
> I was using my Dell, and Roku was playing a movie.  My wife unsuspended
> her X41 started using it, and moments later, all three lost network.

I have a similar problem.
At first I thought it was an outside attack. Then the modem which was vry old
and susceptable. Now it seems that I get horrible results even pinging myself.

My server is 63.199.8.158 and my router is 63.199.8.153
At the moment I have this running...
while true
do
  pyng=`ping -c 1 63.199.8.153|grep ttl|cut -d= -f4|cut -d. -f1`
   if [ `echo $pyng |cut -d" " -f1` -gt 1000 ]
   then
      netstat | grep :
      echo -e "\a " $pyng " \a"
   fi
  sleep 5
done

My pings from me to my own router can shoot from 10.5 to over 3000. So far one
of the common factors seems to be that when it happens various postfix routines
are running, and there are users checking mail on the imap connections. Im
looking into trimming down postfix, and maybe dropping imap (which I only had
running to support web-based email handling)

Not sure if that helps.
Gandalf  Parker