2009 Oct 04 11:50

Re: [vox-tech] sshd not reaping my login shell

On 10/02/2009 02:21 PM, Ken Bloom wrote:
> When I ssh from little-cat-a to cat-in-the-hat, exiting the login shell
> on cat-in-the-hat doesn't end my ssh connection. After running ps on
> cat-in-the-hat, I noticed that the login shell in question was still
> sitting around as a zombie process, meaning that sshd isn't reaping the
> shell.

> Anybody seen this before? Anybody know how to fix it? Anybody know where
> to report a bug?

When I've seen this behavior happen it's been legit and not a bug.  I
often ssh using the -L option to set up a port tunnel.  (e.g., to the
mysql port on the remote box)  If I try to exit the ssh connection while
another app is still using the tunneled port the ssh connection will
stay open, even though I already told it to exit.  Once I exit the other
app, of course, the ssh connection then closes.

Any change you're doing any port forwarding/tunneling?

HTH,

DR