2009 Sep 11 01:42

Re: [vox-tech] Most efficient way to wipe hard drives

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:07:42PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
>> Looks like it would be faster to write all zeros then all ones.
>
> "all zeros, then all ones"?  Or "faster to write all zeros _than_ all ones"?

Heh, it's faster to overwrite it twice then it is to overwrite it once with
random numbers.

> <snip>
>> 0 then 1, of if you prefer any byte then it's compliment.
>
> Forget I asked. :)

Something like 01010101 on the first pass and 10101010 on the second.  Not
that it's a big difference.  It's just a paranoid detail.  Overwriting with
anything once should do it.  Except for the badblocks.  Secure deletion or
destruction is the only way to get those.