January 6: Social gathering
2009 Sep 09 13:37

Re: [vox-tech] Most efficient way to wipe hard drives

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 11:12:49AM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I have never used wipe, but it might do the trick. I am having a bit of
> a problem finding the sources and the details for it.

FWIW, I just used DBAN on a 1.5GHz Sempron with a pair of 7200rpm WDC drives.
(One 120GB, the other 320GB).  Took about 4hrs just to do a regular 'zeros'
wipe.  (Would've taken about 11 or 12 doing the default wipe, which is
obviously more complicated and more secure.)

<snip>
> I would say that your best bet is Darik's Boot And Nuke.
> http://www.dban.org/

And thanks to whoever first directed me to DBAN.