2009 Sep 06 17:48

[vox-tech] crontab

this might be too simple a question to ask, however i am doing it anyway.

i want to run a cron job to back up the dump files from my database
tables on a weekly basis. I've never set a cron job before. So by
following the "goolge-search" result, I did these:

I create a text file and add a line to set time, date and my script,
name the file "cronjob.txt"
59 23 * * * /home/hai/Scripts/backup.sh

from CLI: crontab cronjob.txt
confirm the job: crontab -l

then I sat tight waiting for the magic moment. Nothing happened.

I must have missed something, what is it?

I am using ubuntu 8.10, and I test the script manually, it works fine.

Thanks!
Hai