2009 Sep 01 10:40

Re: [vox-tech] libstdc++ and sgi and hp?

Re: [vox-tech] libstdc++ and sgi and hp?

I thought the STL was renamed to the Standard Library. I thought the
article was interesting where Stephanov described how C++ programmers
tried to form generics (or however you call it) using the object
oriented approach and it would invariably fail. The STL (or standard
library ) is a great thing and it is hard to imagine C++ without it.

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 09:56:40AM -0400, Hai Yi wrote:
> it seems to me Stepanov is good at convincing people so that he was
> able to push his ideas and make his marks no matter where he was,
> hehe.
>
> And libstdc++, anyone knows the history? (Wiki redirect this item to
> "C++ standard Library")
>
> Hai
>

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Ken Bloom<kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Alexander Stepanov might [1][2] have something to say about the latter
> >> two, but I don't think he reads this mailing list.
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/drdobbs-interview.html
> >> [2] http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html
> >>

> > Sounds from these articles and Wikipedia like:
> >
> > Alexander Stepanov is the contributor, and whatever company employs him
> > at the time is the one behind the the STL effort. So the earliest
> > conceptual work in generic programming was stuff Stepanov did at GE and
> > later AT&T. Stepanov must have started working with generic programming
> > in C++ when he was at HP (and he published a full STL while he was
> > there). He then did further development on the STL at SGI, and that's
> > the version that's standardized.
> >
> > There are other languages these days that also seem to do a good job at
> > generic programming, in particular Haskell, and dynamic languages like
> > Ruby.
> >
> > --Ken

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/