2009 Aug 23 08:35

Re: [vox-tech] command to monitor memory usage

On Sat 22 Aug 09, 10:37 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 09:37:49PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > Top is good if you get the filtering and sorting options right so that
> > the process you're interested in stays on the list (and doesn't get
> > crowded out of the list by more resource-hungry programs).
> <snip>
>
> Not that I've ever really done it, but it's probably also reasonable
> to go into /proc/{PROCESS_ID}/ and do a 'cat status' and/or some other
> 'file(s).'  No?
>
> -bill!

Prolly not.  Which fields relate to memory usage?  I took a look; can't
figure it out.  Proc files aren't terribly concerned with human readability;
they are more meant for tools.

Why not just use ps?  It's there, it works, it's reasonably friendly, it has
a man page.  :)

Pete