2009 Aug 22 22:37

Re: [vox-tech] command to monitor memory usage

Ken Bloom wrote:
> There are various GUI tools (gtop) comes to mind that act like top.
>
> ps can tell you the current memory usage of a given program (when used
> in conjunction with grep), and as Pete mentioned, the watch command can
> get you that information updated continuously.

	G/top and those like it are good for some things but not for a
	single process.

	ps -ef | grep name-of-process
	ps --pid=??????

	Replace name-of-process with the name of the process you are
	looking at (such as sendmail) will give you the info. But you
	can also look for the process ID itself if you know it using
	the '--pid=??????' where you replace the '?????' with the PID
	of the process you want info for (note: you may need to use
	ps to get the PID of the process).

								Tony