2009 Aug 18 08:00

Re: [vox-tech] can't remove postgresql

hey, peter:

thanks! I checked using dpkg, it didn't return anything, so all point to the direction that postgresql is not there; but why nmap insists that postgresql is open? Also, i start tomcat but it's not reported by nmap. I'll send the question to nmap's forum and see what they say.

thx again!
Hai

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
On Tue 18 Aug 09, 12:07 AM, Hai Yi <yihai2004@gmail.com> said:
>    hello all:
>
>    I noitced that postgresql has been installed on my ubuntu box, i no longer
>    use it, but there are few entries of postgresql in the application menu
>    and becomes a eyesore.
>
>    I tried to remove it by launching:
>
>    sudo apt-get -f remove postgresql
>
>    the message shows:
>
>    Reading package lists... Done
>    Building dependency tree
>    Reading state information... Done
>    Package postgresql is not installed, so not removed
>    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 97 not upgraded.
>
>    However, if I use nmap to test the running apps, it shows:
>
>    PORT     STATE SERVICE
>    22/tcp   open  ssh
>    631/tcp  open  ipp
>    5432/tcp open  postgresql
>    8009/tcp open  ajp13
>
>    I am confused, anyone has any idea?
>
>    Thanks,
>    Hai

Hai, to get the exact name of the postgresql package try this:

  dpkg -l "*postgre*" | grep ii

It'll search for all installed packages (grep ii) with the string
"postgre" somewhere in the package name (dpkg -l "*postgre*").

Pete