January 6: Social gathering
2009 Aug 16 23:35

Re: [vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

Re: [vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

AM> 2. More importantly what file system should we use?
AM> ext3,ext4,XFS, etc?

A bit late as I've been away, but:

1) don't use ext3 if you want to have large files and want to do much
   deleting.  ext3 with large files is ok, I think, until you need to do
   delete operations then it's really slow.
2) ext4 should fix this, but that's already been discussed.  F11
   actually pseudo-suggests it now days, which means it's looking more
   and more like it's considered "stable".
3) MythTV, which makes extensive use of large files (a 1 hour show with
   good-quality settings for me is about 2.4G) suggests either XFS or
   JFS as the file system, and that's primarily because of delete
   operations.  I've been using JFS and have been happy with it.  JFS
   can do online resizing as well, which I've used to increase the size
   of video partitions live.
4) I agree, LVM rocks.  Yes it does add a bit of overhead but it's far
   worth it to be able to dynamically make a partition larger (live even!)

--
\ Wes Hardaker                           http://pontifications.hardakers.net /
 \_____ "In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than ________/