2009 Jul 31 14:45

Re: [vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

Re: [vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

I second the LVM thing. I haven't done any benchmarks, but the added
flexibility will make life a whole lot easier. If you had a 1 TB
storage, and then you were making it 8 TB, with LVM, you can do it
without your users ever knowing. Well, except for the fact that they
will stop running out of space.

lvextend
and
pvextend

Well, there was a change in the command structure. It has been a few
months since I took a running system from 1 TB to 2 TB. But, it was
easy. New disk in, rebooted it, add the disk to the logical volume
group. Then, I just extended the partition size live. I don't know too
much about number of inodes and the block size, so I guess that is where
the tuning comes in.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 03:44:32PM -0700, Ted Deppner wrote:
> Cheap insurance against the need to change things.  The only overhead
> expense that would matter (because CPU and disk won't) would be your
> time, differing between learning and using LVM versus having to change
> something the hard way later on.
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Alex Mandel<tech_dev@wildintellect.com> wrote:
> > I think I'm missing why LVM would be good in this situation, it seems
> > like extra overhead. RAID 6 in this case offers hot swapping of up to 2
> > failing drives at the same time, so I don't plan to do any mirroring
> > beyond what the RAID config offers. As for the need to change
> > partitions, aside from the OS which might have it's own drives, the rest
> > of the drives are all 1 partition of 8 TB.

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/