January 6: Social gathering
2009 Jul 29 15:00

Re: [vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 02:59:28PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> So I'm putting in a new file server at work.
>> RAID 6, 8 TB
>> It's purpose is to server large files(1GB+) and large amounts of files
>> to local desktops and servers.(About 25 machines and several web services)
>>
>> 1. What partition scheme would people recommend?
>> Yes I read the whole previous thread on this topic.
>
> I'm not touching this :)
>
>> 2. More importantly what file system should we use?
>> ext3,ext4,XFS, etc?
>
> When you say "large files" and file server, XFS jumps out as the clear
> favorite for that workload.  Efficiently and smoothly handling
> large sequential reads was one of its primary design goals.   That
> recommendation might be subject to change if your web services will
> generate a large amount of filesystem churn.
>
> -t

Almost all services will be read only. And the majority of large files
will be static as they are archival products, no data in them. To give
you an idea about what I talking about think air photos, and satellite
data from things like landsat.

Thanks,
Alex