2009 Jul 29 19:26

[vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

[vox-tech] Large File Server - File System?

So I'm putting in a new file server at work.
RAID 6, 8 TB
It's purpose is to server large files(1GB+) and large amounts of files
to local desktops and servers.(About 25 machines and several web services)

1. What partition scheme would people recommend?
Yes I read the whole previous thread on this topic.
Here's what I'm thinking:
/   10 GB
swap - do we even need swap?(we have 12 GB of ram)
/var 10-20 GB
/tmp	40 GB
/home Everything else?

2. More importantly what file system should we use?
ext3,ext4,XFS, etc?

Note we'll probably run Ubuntu 8.04 LTS which may effect your answer.

Thanks,
Alex