January 6: Social gathering
2009 Jul 23 21:29

Re: [vox-tech] protection error in Directshow app

Hai Yi wrote:
> sorry this appears to be a Microsoft direct show question, however,
> kindly bear with me for a moment,
>
> i found it might have more to do with codec in general, and i post my
> question on a VC++ site and didn't get response. From my past
> experience, I believe I will get better help here, hehe
>
> I am working on a project, and it uses the basic functionality of
> directshow, the project itself uses MFC/VC++.
>
> Anyway it works fine for a while, but suddenly it refuses to play
> *.avi files, giving me a error message (when I am in VC's debugging
> mode ):
>
> "Debugger detected - please close it down and restart! Windows NT
> users: Please note that having the WinIce/SoftIce service installed
> means that you are running a debugger!"
>
> I checked online and it seems that some codec stops the app from
> working properly, or it might be a virus. I have more concerns about
> the latter. I have Kaspersky as my computer's guardian angel, however,
> it failed to report any problems.
>
> It's OK to play other media files registered in my system, like mpeg.
>
> Thanks a lot for any enlightenment!

You are running a debugger on a program that calls proprietary code,
you get a message that says don't run a debugger, and ... you think
there might be a virus?  I think the proprietary code is trying to
protect itself from being viewed in a debugger. Perhaps you should
talk to Microsoft tech support... you probably need a software development
kit with a special driver version, or to use a different codec during
development.